Re: [Usability]HIG suggestion- alt+<num> shortcuts for tabbed/MD interfaces

Tr, 2002-05-22 23:19, Christian Rose rašė:
> ons 2002-05-22 klockan 22.50 skrev Luis Villa:
> > > One potential problem could be that this might conflict with
> > > applications using numbers as underlined access keys for buttons, menus
> > > or other widgets. Underlined access keys are also activated with Alt.
> > > Numbers are valid as well as characters here.
> >
> > Right. But do any apps actually use numbers and not letters here? If so,
> > could that be declared out of bounds? The only place that this occurs of
> > which I'm aware of is in metacity, and those can only be accessed via
> > alt+<space> and /then/ the number.
>
> I've seen it used in other non-GNOME2.0 applications, but I can't
> remember which ones. Numbers are usually good access keys in situations
> like this:
>
> Mail address _1
> Mail address _2
> Mail address _3
>
> etc.
> In any case, I don't think numbers should be declared invalid as access
> keys. They are useful in some cases, and gtk can handle conflicts if the

Numbers are used as access keys in recent file lists and so on.

But numbers as access keys in menus do not conflict with Alt-<number>
shortcut in any way, because in menus you do not (and can not) hold down
Alt to access a menu item:

Alt+F F 2 (to open second file from recent file list) is different from
Alt+2 (to switch to second document). Just look at gedit.

Alt+3 works in gnome-terminal! Yay!

--
Gediminas