[Usability]HIG suggestion- alt+<num> shortcuts for tabbed/MD interfaces

For some time, galeon and xchat have used alt+<num> to switch to tab
<num>. The new gnome-terminal has the ability to add this as a
keybinding, and otherwise I'm unaware of any uses of these shortcuts
elsewhere. [Sawfish may use them, but I don't believe that is by
default.] Can the HIG specify that this be the suggested default for
tabbed/MD interfaces? I ask because I keep trying to use them in gedit
:) and others in my LUG have mentioned doing the same thing to me, so I
thought maybe it would seem a reasonable way to have a consistent way to
switch between tabs, which seems to be something that is otherwise hard
to do from the keyboard in some apps.

Luis [sure that there is some reason why this is a bad idea but unable
to come up with what that reason might be offhand :)