[Usability]Re: toolbar issues

On 19 May 2002, Jorn Baayen wrote:

> Heya,
> At the moment the Galeon and Nautilus toolbars have a rightclick popup
> menu on the back, up, and forward buttons. While this is very useful,
> it's not very obvious that it's there. Also it has a lot of
> implementation problems, like bonoboui not really supporting rightclick
> stuff on toolbar buttons and stuff like that.
> IMHO Gnumeric and AbiWord solved this much better by having an arrow
> butotn next to their undo/redo buttons which drops down a list of
> possible actions. See http://nl.linux.org/~jorn/Files/dropdown.png.
> That way it's clear it's there, and there are no implementation
> problems.
> Personally I would love to see that in both Nautilus and Galeon. I'm
> writing the Galeon toolbar code, but I could also make a patch for
> Nautilus if people are interested ...

Yeah. I'd love this. We're in a UI freeze, but perhaps we can get this one
thing past the release team. Hopefully it fixes the stupid
theme-background fuckup on the forward and back buttons too.
> Another thing with the Nauti toolbar is that it uses it's own theming
> stuff, i think we shouldn't do that in Gnome 2 since stock icons can now
> be themed. (And we can register app-specific icons with the stock
> system, so that they can be themed as well). Also it would be nice if
> some of the buttons had priority. (ie text beside icons, if requested in
> the toolbar capplet). I can do a patch for this stuff as well, if there
> is interest.

We already removed all customly themed toolbars from Nautilus. Darin
didn't want to remove the feature completely. I don't care much, so i
defer to Darins decision.

I personally think text on toolbars is crack. Especially on only some of
the items. If the user enables crack perhaps we should give it to him

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a globe-trotting chivalrous hairdresser from the 'hood. She's a
provocative belly-dancing Hell's Angel with a knack for trouble. They fight