[Usability]Re: toolbar issues

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 22:40, Alex Larsson wrote:
> On 19 May 2002, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > Another thing with the Nauti toolbar is that it uses it's own theming
> > stuff, i think we shouldn't do that in Gnome 2 since stock icons can now
> > be themed. (And we can register app-specific icons with the stock
> > system, so that they can be themed as well). Also it would be nice if
> > some of the buttons had priority. (ie text beside icons, if requested in
> > the toolbar capplet). I can do a patch for this stuff as well, if there
> > is interest.
>
> We already removed all customly themed toolbars from Nautilus. Darin

The problem is not that the nautilus toolbar contains custom icons but
rather that those icons do not override the system defaults (at the very
least this should be the case inside of nautilus, e.g. when I use the
Gorilla theme the Go menu should show Gorilla icons).

If we think that it would be preferable to have all custom icons set in
a single place (i.e. not set in the nautilus xml theme file, but
installed in a separate theme file instead) then we might be able to
talk the theme designers (i.e. tigert and jimmac) into changing their
themes to use the gtk method.  Then nautilus toolbar icons would
override gtk icons when installed.

The only potential problem I can see with this is that the theme
designers might not want to their custom icons to apply to everything,
in which case either gtk must have a way to specify this or nautilus
will need to handle the job.  I dunno.  Tigert and Jimmac, would either
of you object if your toolbar icons were installed system wide?

Would any users object?