Re: [Usability]Re: Taskbar should show tasks on all workspaces by default

Reinout van Schouwen <reinout cs vu nl> writes:

> Hello Pat,
>
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Pat Costello wrote:
>
> > For what my opinion is worth, the first suggestion removes a useful
> > piece of functionality that users might otherwise not find for some
> > time,
>
> Agreed.

We could do it like this - keep the workspace switcher, but only have
one workspace. User will think "what's this little miniature of my
screen", investigate, and discover workspaces.

> > and the second suggestion defeats the purpose of the workspace
> > switcher, which is to allow users to corral work in clearly distinct
> > areas.
>
> Disagree, corraling work in distinct areas with workspaces is still very
> well possible with all running apps visible in the taskbar applet.

Workspaces with all apps visible in the taskbar applet seem very weird
to me. A similar effect can be achieved with "window groups" - windows
that minimize at the same time - and I don't find that so useful.

> The fact alone that there's no visible cue that a program is still
> running should be enough to never make this behavior the default.

There is a (poor) visible cue in the switcher, and a very good one in
that little menu-thing, which should be enough. Having all apps
visible is available as an option.

Sunnan.