[Usability]Re: Controls, widgets, and UI learning.

James Ramsey wrote:
Why not "window contents" instead of "widgets" or
"controls"?
Because window contents can refer to things outside
widgets. Window contents can include things like web
pages, an application's icons (which may or may not be
determined by the widget toolkit), a word processor's
canvas, etc. In short, "window contents" isn't
accurate.

Huh? I don't think this is true. Changing the GTK theme generally DOES change the entire window contents. The applications that don't change are either:

   1) gnome apps with special-purpose widgets (abiword)
or 2) non gnome-apps (mozilla, openoffice)

If we're talking about gnome apps with special widgets, like abiword's text widget, then the word "widget" isn't any better than "window contents" at describing what will and won't change, since the special text widget IS a widget. But this isn't an issue anyway. Users won't expect their word processing documents to change colors when they change their GTK theme. The same is true for web pages.

I'll assume you're not talking about non-gnome applications, because those applications have "widgets" that aren't changed by the GTK theme too.

Show me a gnome application where "window contents" causes more confusion than "widget", or I won't believe you.