Re: [Usability]GNOME 2.0 feedback

> > "The main application menu has changed from the bottom to the top
> > panel. This might please some Mac addicts, but is a poor choice for
> > everyone else. (The default should surely be to work like the Windows,
> > KDE, and old gnome - the start button is bottom left. And then have an
> > option to do it the other way.

I disagree with this. It sucked that the Gnome 1.4 default was to have
*both* the win-style footbutton and the mac-style footmenu. I hate the
Mac OS but I think that having the menu at the top of the screen is a
very reasonable default, because: it's very visible, and it's obvious
that it's a menu. The old footmenubutton works only if it resonates
with the memory of win/kde users, and even then it's non-obvious. The
footbuttonmenu is available as an option already, and that should be
fine. win/kde-heads can use that option.

Is this about whether you prefer win/kde or mac or is it about how
good/bad gnome is?

BioChem333 <biochem333 nyc rr com> writes:
> 1.4 needed to take up. I also don't like that transparency was removed
> from the panel background options, or that the menu panel isn't
> customizable at all.

There was a transparency option? Then why did I and my friends sit and
do all those cropped background hacks for our desktops, back in the
days? (Hacks which still seem to work on gnome 2.)

We couldn't find a transparency option, was there one?

> > "Dialogs have help and close buttons. This is daft. What happened to
> > cancel and OK? (If I hit close, does it apply the changes I've made or
> > not? What if I shut a window from the window manager? In fact, I tried
> > this and the behaviour is downright dangerous - closing via the window
> > manager applies the changes, which isn't at all what I would expect.)
>
> I would have to agree here also; sometimes I just want to cancel and get
> back to the way things were. Making it easier for someone to permanently
> screw something up is not very user-friendly.

So add a "revert" option to complex dialogs, or an "undo" feature. The
whole "cancel"-thing took a while for me to grasp when I started using
GUIs ten years ago.

When you draw a line with most paint program, you don't get to cancel
before the line is put into the picture, it's just instantly
there. However, if the line turned out to look somewhat
less-than-beautiful, you can hit "undo" and be happy again.

I agree with the rest of the beta-tester's and with Richs other
comments (that's why I snipped them.)

Especially about Gnome and Nautilus being slow, it's awful.