Re: [G2R] Re: [Usability]thoughts on ui-review for fifth toe

Havoc wrote:
> There's no reason we can't have a single app that supports the various
> protocols, though. That's what I'd really like to see.

Yes.  Actually an alternative might be a client-side server (i.e. a
server on a local workstation) which acts as a multi-protocol gateway.

Jabber attempts to integrate some of these protocols, too, I think,
at the protocol level.

The differences between IRC, SMS, AIM, email, and private web pages, are
mostly to do with clients and with longevity of the medium, I think,
which means in practice that there are social differences too.
When you get to blogs and netnews, the audience is wider and less
directed, moreopen-ended.  So, the tools have differences that reflect
their different social uses, and it's likely that we'll continue to
have different tools for a while.

Trillium is quite popular on Windows, though, for combining some of
these protocols in a single client.

Liam