Re: [G2R] Re: [Usability]thoughts on ui-review for fifth toe

On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 10:40, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > > Can we add GnomeICU? I know Seth will get cranky at the duplication of
> > > functionality, but hey, it's Fifth Toe.
> >
> > Its sad that instant messaging developers didn't do the best thing for
> > their users and agree on a common protocol at the very beginning, but
> > since protocol has become an important thing, we unfortunately don't
> > have much choice but to expose it to our users. I don't think GnomeICU
> > is really duplicating functionality in that light.
> >

> There's no reason we can't have a single app that supports the various
> protocols, though. That's what I'd really like to see.
>
> Gaim sort of tries to do this, but needs some UI love to make it
> seamless.

Its a tricky problem. There's a lot of clients that try to do this, and
none that do it well. Part of the problem might be that the people
developing the clients are infatuated with the idea of multiple
protocols and haven't made this mostly-transparent, but I dunno.

-Seth