Re: [Usability]file menu

Christian Rose <menthos menthos com> writes:

> tor 2002-07-11 klockan 14.29 skrev Sunnanvind Fenderson:
> > I currently use three gnome apps - nautilus, galeon, and
> > gnome-terminal - more often than the others, and I noticed that the
> > "file" menu in some of them have nothing to do with files, it's all
> > about "new window" and "new tab".
>
> Galeon can open and save files.

Nautilus too, if a file is actually selected, but opening files isn't
that menu's most common task in neither of the apps.

> > This is quirky.
> >
> > Maybe it should be called "main" or "windows", and "edit" in terminal
> > should be called "settings" like the settings menu in galeon.
>
> "File" is pretty commonplace and over time it has come to be less about
> file manipulation but rather certain basic actions that people expect to
> be there from other environments.
> The HIG recommends "Game" for games that don't file operations. Games
> usually don't use other document operations, such as opening new windows
> or printing the current document. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to
> call the menu "File".

But having a "File" menu on the terminal window does make sense to you?

> I'm not sure about the "Main" title though. I think "Windows" is out of
> the question; that name is already reserved for another type of menu
> that only lists the open windows.

I don't have that menu in any of my apps - for those who have, that
functionality could be moved to the new "window" menu (née "file").