Re: [Usability]file menu

tor 2002-07-11 klockan 14.29 skrev Sunnanvind Fenderson:
> I currently use three gnome apps - nautilus, galeon, and
> gnome-terminal - more often than the others, and I noticed that the
> "file" menu in some of them have nothing to do with files, it's all
> about "new window" and "new tab".

Galeon can open and save files.

> This is quirky.
>
> Maybe it should be called "main" or "windows", and "edit" in terminal
> should be called "settings" like the settings menu in galeon.

"File" is pretty commonplace and over time it has come to be less about
file manipulation but rather certain basic actions that people expect to
be there from other environments.
The HIG recommends "Game" for games that don't file operations. Games
usually don't use other document operations, such as opening new windows
or printing the current document. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to
call the menu "File".
I'm not sure about the "Main" title though. I think "Windows" is out of
the question; that name is already reserved for another type of menu
that only lists the open windows.

Christian