Re: [Usability]Re: HIG suggestion- alt+<num> shortcuts for tabbed/MD interfaces

On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 16:05, Michael Toomim wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote:
>
> >>In the meantime, the gtk-2.0 notebook widget does implement
> >>Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn for flipping between tabs, so applications that are using
> >>that but breaking those keybindings need to sort themselves out :)
> >
> > AFAICT, this only works when the tab widget is focused, which means (at
> > minimum) a whole bunch of keystrokes[1] and/or a mouseclick before these
> > are usable, as compared to ctl+<num>, which has (in the past) worked
> > without focus and hence with only one keycombo press. _much_ more
> > efficient.
>
> Can you explain this a little more?  I don't understand how
> C-pgup/pgdown requires a widget to be focused, but A-# doesn't.

c+pgup/pgdown work, in all current implementations I can find, only if
the actual tabs have focus. [i.e., if a dotted line is visible around
the tab label.] alt+N work even when the actual tab widgets do not have
focus. I have no idea what the implementation details are. But whatever
the details, that makes the current implementation of c+pgup/pgdown
extremely inefficient.

Luis