[Usability]Re: HIG suggestion- alt+<num> shortcuts for tabbed/MD interfaces

Calum Benson wrote:

Hmm... I'd be happier with this if those apps actually put a number on
each tab so you knew which keybinding you had to press to bring them to
the front-- any time I've tried it in xchat I've spent longer counting
the tabs than I would have done just picking up the mouse and clicking
on the damn thing in the first place :)

In the meantime, the gtk-2.0 notebook widget does implement
Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn for flipping between tabs, so applications that are using
that but breaking those keybindings need to sort themselves out :)

I agree, I think that tab-forward and tab-backward are better than tab-# commands.

A) Most apps don't number their tabs. Furthermore, tabs move positions all the time. It is therefore hard for the user to figure out which number corresponds to a tab.

B) tab-forward and tab-backward take up only two keybindings, rather than N.

C) What do you do when you get more than 10 tabs? With the tab-# commands, you suddenly can't navigate tabs using the keyboard anymore. This is especially the case when you have so many tabs open that the tab-bar has to have a scroll-arrow. How do you choose the Nth tab when the first one is off the screen?