Re: [HIG] Re: [Usability]No HIG maintainer?

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 23:59, Murray Cumming wrote:

> Yes, but the HIG took this a bit far recently. And it should make it
> clear that bizarre techinical advice is not to be taken too seriously.

This is a fair comment, in retrospect I think we were a bit too keen to
rush out HIG v1.0 to more-or-less coincide with the GNOME 2.0 release.
Which was a worthwhile goal in itself, but possibly called for being a
bit more conservative, given the lack of opportunity for a decent review
period before its release.

I completely understand Seth's frustration too, though... it does seem
like the most effective way of getting changes into the toolkit is often
to write what we want to do into the HIG and hope that hackers are just
annoyed enough to demand an easier way to do it, but not so annoyed that
they won't do it at all!  On-list dicsussions and IRC gatherings about
UI issues in particular all-too often end inconclusively, so sometimes
we just have to bite the bullet, rock the boat a bit and mix our
metaphors :)

Cheeri,
Calum.