Re: [Usability]request for ui review on nautilus-media

Hi Reinout,

> > b) in the properties, I've been told that the first three fields should be
> >    gtklabels, not gtkentries.
> >    They were gtkentries because at some point in the future they will be
> >    editable.  I guess it's up to you to decide if this is something that
> >    needs changing.
>
> Regarding this properties window:
> - 'Comments' should probably have a mnemonic
I suppose you mean in the case where it's editable ?
The first decision should be "should all of these be gtklabels", since at
this point (and for 2.2) they won't be editable.

> - I don't think the length has to be specified in thousanths of a second

I think it does.  The regular audio view gives the length only in seconds.
There are cases where I need this info however, and I imagine others do
to, and since the property view contains "technical" info like bit depth,
channels, and so on, it makes sense to put the full length here.

 > - Are Comments and Notes really separate things (why)?

Notes is something done by nautilus.  All I do is provide the "Audio" tab.

> Regarding the audio view:
> - When metadata is available, I'd prefer a title listing instead of a file
> listing (if I wanted to know exact filenames, I could have used the List
> view!)

Hm.  Personally, I feel nautilus should be a FILE manager only, and
everything done should be in function of that.  So if I'm manipulating
files, I want the primary info to be the file name, since that's what I'll
reference the file by in other actions.  I'm even considering removing
metadata from that view entirely, keeping it in properties, except that it
does look nice in the view.  But not showing the filename would go against
the whole concept of a file browser, plus not every audio file has
metadata, and then you get a mixed view, which gets even messier.

Plus, it's not true that you can use the List view to get the exact
filename, because you have no way of correlating the list view to the
audio view; they're different views.

> > b) at the bottom, it shouldn't show a mix of gnome-vfs path and file name,
> >    but just the filename (I'd rather show the gnomevfs url but that gets
> >    really ugly, so I'd better not)
> Agreed.

Yeah, but what do I show ?

> P.S. Thomas, je bent een Vlaming toch? Wil je meehelpen om de Nederlandse
> GNOME wat bekender te maken door die te gebruiken voor schermafdrukken?
> ;-)

Heh, zal proberen, maar ik gebruik zelf niet graag vertaalde programma's
want dat maakt developen moeilijker ;)

Thomas

slips her dress like a fly to the floor
hands in the sky surrenders it all
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->