Re: [Usability]Abstracting the Linux desktop

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 21:17, MArk Finlay wrote:
> That's my essay. Nothing new or particuarly origional. It was on
> footnotes etc... a while ago but never got discussed here. Called
> "Abstracting the Linux Desktop". I got an excellent response to it.
> Touches on $HOME as desktop, desktop metaphors etc...
>
> not sure if it is really usibility thought

I read your excellent essay when it was posted on Footnotes some time
ago, recognizing many of the needs you described; the first question I
got from my Windows-veteran friend when I introduced him to his new
GNOME desktop was "Where is 'My Computer'?". The Unix filesystem
certainly wasn't designed with usability in mind and even after several
years of use I must admit that it still has me a bit alienated.

In my opinion, giving the Unix filesystem a friendlier face would be a
very natural next step for GNOME usability.

--
Anders Feder <linux anders feder dk>