Re: [Usability]GNOME 2 HIG review

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 17:14, Calum Benson wrote:
> > How could we do it? I'll get some references done then send them to all
> > of you for review or generate the DocBook for myself?
>
> If you're happy to generate the DocBook, I say go ahead.

I'll go with the DocBook then. Easier to integrate for everybody, I
suppose.

> Maybe we could do a round of "nominate your favourite usability books"
> here on the list to decide which ones should be included.  There's also
> a list of online references on the GUP website we could use for
> starters.

Good idea! I'll post another message to the list to start the gathering.

> > Also, where you thinking in simply having a Bibliography at the end of
> > the book or references from the main text too?
>
> Personally, I'd be happy enough with a list at the end... integrating
> references into the main text might just annoy and distract people who
> didn't have the books (even if we just placed the references as
> footnotes), unless we restricted such references to online resources,
> perhaps.

I also would be happier with a Bibliography at the end. I would only
integrate references in the main text if they were related to articles
that study just the question exposed in the main test, and that would be
annoying because most of them are ACM texts only available through
subscription. I am an ACM member but not everybody would like to expend
the money on the membership, I suppose.

I would also like the references in different categories like it is done
in the Microsoft Windows User Experience title. Something like:

   * General design
   * Graphical design
   * Usability
   * Accessibility
   * Organizations

Do you like the idea?

So I'd get the DocBook for the list at the end as soon as I can. I'll
post it to the list when I have it ready.

Cheers,

David.