Fwd: Re: [Usability]File renaming/extensions [chbm chbm nu]

On 2002.08.20 14:14:02 +0100 David Lazaro wrote:
On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 14:47, Carlos Morgado wrote:
> [...]
> i wasn't clear.
> extension IS NOT an unix concept.

I would like better, for example, the approach of the future RaiserFS
vision, in which a file can have a fork called "mime-type" which
contains the (surprise, surprise) MIME type of the data. The only
problems are that that filesystem doesn't exist yet and that GNOME must
also support filesystems without that feature set anyway.

there is no need of filesystem support for this so it doesn't belong there.
it also makes for happy fun b0rkage like "i'm reading the mime-type from
the filesystem but did the other app update it or am i reading crap ?"

unix solved this long ago. the solution is called magic numbers. sensible
formats have magic numbers. those who don't need to be replaced.
i like the way gmc can find my jpegs even if i don't moronicaly name them
foo.jpg

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds