[Usability]GNOME 2 HIG Chapter 2 review

Hello,

More suggestions for the GNOME HIG. This time I cover chapter 2. He! And
for what I have seen today on the mailing lists what will follow will be
amendments to the first version.

Ta ta,

David

Review of GNOME 2.0 HIG (CVS draft)
===================================

Reviewer: David Lazaro <dlazaro well com>

This review is based on the draft present at http://developer.gnome.org/gup/hig/draft_hig.

Chapter 2. Usability Principles
-------------------------------

"Don't Limit Your User Base"

* The begining of the first paragraph of the accesibility subsection can be changed to read:

   "Accessibility, sometimes referred as a11y, means enabling people with [...]"

* In the second paragraph of the accessibility section the link to "gnopernicus" should be capitalized as it is an application name.

* The last paragraph of the accessibility subsection can be changed to read:

   "GNOME has excellent support for accesibility by means of the ATK toolkit. More information on ATK and accesibility in GNOME can be found at the GNOME Accesibilty Project."

* In the first sentence of the second paragraph of the "Internationalization and Localization" subsection "L10n" can be changed to "l10n" in order to match the rest of the abbreviations.

"Create a Match Between Your Application and the Real World"

* In the second paragraph there is an space between the first m-dash and "that" and between the "world" and the second m-dash that shouldn't be there.

* The unordered list should follow phrase style, i.e.:

   * an image [...] can be placed, and
   * a waste basket [...] no longer needed.

"Make Your Application Consistent"

* In the second sentence of the third paragraph "reduce user's trust" should be changed to "reduce the user's trust" in order to follow the same style as the rest of the guidelines. The user should always be referenced as "the user". I think that we should also publish a GNOME Documentation Style Guide, by the way. ;)

"Let Users Know What's Going On"

* Change the title of the section to "Let the User Know What Is Going On" or better "Keep the User Informed". This takes into account the above commentary about using "the user" and, if the second rewording is chosed, is more formal.

"Keep It Simple and Pretty"

* I would add another sentence at the end of the second paragraph: "Maybe you want to contact a graphical designer to help you with this part".

"Put the User in Control"

* The following sentence can be added to the first paragraph: "Think that the user may have to view your application for a long time."

* I would add another sentence at the end of the first paragraph: "See Chapter 4 for more information on window modes". "Chapter 4", obviously, should be a reference to the appropriate chapter. :P

"Forgive the User"

* References to a "Revert to Saved" feature can also be added. This is also a rewording of the typical "Revert" File menu item that could be clearer; more on that when I reach the proper section. If you don't have the time I could rewrite this section and send you a patch. What's your opinion?

"Enable Direct Manipulation"

* The following paragraph could be added to this section:

   "Direct manipulation also means that you should allow drag and drop for actions expected by the user. If you develop an e-mail application, for example, you should allow attaching files by dragging them from the file manager and dropping them onto the message composition window."

"[More]"

* "Test, test, test". A new section can be added explaining the benefits of testing. You know: "test early and test often". :)