Re: [Usability]GNOME-SEARCH-TOOL: Comment Request

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 04:32:44PM -0500, Seth Nickell wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 11:44, Gregory Merchan wrote:
<snip>
> > Unfortunately under the current rules for GNOME that would mean you need
> > to add a Close button. For consistency it would be the default button, but
> > that wouldn't make any sense.
>
> Thus far [Close] buttons are only specificed for property windows and
> preference windows (instant apply). We're not using them, e.g., on
> Alerts and the like, and thus far not toolboxes or pallettes either. I
> don't think a [Close] button would be necessary (of course I don't think
> its ever necessary, but *shrug*).

By the same arguments offered for the close button on those windows, there
should be one here too.

Accessibility:
  A way to close the window by keyboard is needed. More specifically,
    the way to close the window must be in the tab sequence for the
    sake of blind users.

Window manager independence:
  Some window managers do not place close buttons on window frames ever.
    TWM is an example - in a normal setup, windows are closed from the
    window operations menu or some application-provided command.
  Some window managers may be configured so that there is no close
    command available.

Target size:
  When present, the window frame close button is smaller than any of the
    buttons in the window and therefor harder to hit.

Status quo:

Alerts don't need them because either OK, an equivalent, Cancel, or a
secondary action will close the window.

Normal toolboxes and palettes are rare in GNOME, afaict. Those that exist
are usually the primary application window as in the GIMP and Sodipodi,
thus they have menus including a closing command. When I asked about the
property inspector in glade, I was told that nobody ever closes that so
it doesn't need a close button; I doubt that is the case here.

Cheers,
Greg Merchan