Re: [Usability]GNOME-SEARCH-TOOL: Comment Request

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 11:32:29AM +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 11:44, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately under the current rules for GNOME that would mean you need
> > > to add a Close button. For consistency it would be the default button,
> > > but that wouldn't make any sense.
>
> What rule says that?  (Genuinely interested, if the HIG is suggesting
> this then it's wrong and I want to change it!)

No rule, just practice. See all the email, bug reports, and changelogs about
making Close the default.

> You should set the default button to be the one that the user is most
> likely to want to use first, which in the case of a Find dialog would
> probably be "Find".

First?

Last I checked, the HIG is silent on the matter. One may take it that since
for alerts the OK button or equivalent - i.e., not Cancel, not a secondary
action, and not Help - should be the default if there is a default and that
there should be no default if the action is destructive, then the same applies
to dialogs. However, there's no section on dialogs.

As for whether there should be a Close button here at all, see my reply to
Seth in a few minutes. (Ok, maybe longer - I need a coffee.)

Cheers,
Greg Merchan