[Usability]Re: GNOME-SEARCH-TOOL: Comment Request [UPDATE]

Michael Toomim wrote:
"File is named" makes me think that I should be typing in the exact filename (without directory). It isn't apparent that I can use wildcards. "File is named" also makes me think that it won't do a substring match by default. Does it, or does one have to surround the string with *'s to make it search for a substring? I think most users might expect a substring match.

Let me clarify that -- I meant that most users would expect a search box to do a substring match, since that's what most search engines perform (google). I think that a substring+wildcards match is better (in general) than a full string+wildcards match.

However, the phrasing of "File is named" makes it sound like you have to match the whole filename.

Windows XP uses "All or part of the file name". I'd suggest something simple and ambiguous, like "filename".