[Usability]Re: GNOME-SEARCH-TOOL: Comment Request [UPDATE]

Dennis Cranston wrote:
   Screenshot #1:
   http://bugzilla.gnome.org/showattachment.cgi?attach_id=10471

"File is named" makes me think that I should be typing in the exact filename (without directory). It isn't apparent that I can use wildcards. "File is named" also makes me think that it won't do a substring match by default. Does it, or does one have to surround the string with *'s to make it search for a substring? I think most users might expect a substring match.

   Screenshot #2:
   http://bugzilla.gnome.org/showattachment.cgi?attach_id=10472

"Additional Options" could be more descriptive. These aren't just extra generic search options -- they are, specifically, additional matching criteria. How about "Additional Specifications" or "More Search Criteria"... or maybe just the single word "Refine"?

The "Selected Options" label seems unnecessary. I think that the label above it ("Additional Specifications", or whatever) suffices alone to describe the items in that box.

Visually, the expanded "more options" items don't look like a unit. It looks like there are two separate UI sections: the stuff in the relieved box, and the stuff below the box (starting with "available options"). This makes it hard to see where to add new items, since the "add" section is visually removed from the items section. Ideally, everything that is expanded by the "More Options" arrow should be enclosed in a single box.

How about this:
A) Always keep an extra blank specification row in the "additional options" box. As soon as a user starts editing a row, add a new blank row below it. This way, users never actually have to explicitly add rows, and you can do away with that entire section of the UI. B) You'll need a way to select the "type" of specification. You could replace the label in the list of specs with an option-menu like the one in the "add item" section. C) Make the default "type" be "Choose a search type", or something similar. Now, you know precisely when to create a new blank specification item: whenever the user changes the type from "Choose a search type" to a real search type.

Doing this would remove a lot of clutter. You'd be able to enclose the entire "Additional Options" section inside of a single box, and simplify the process of adding new criteria immensly. What do you think?

-Michael