Re: [Usability]Gnome file dialog improvement

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 18:15, MM wrote:
> Made some changes. Including different Open and save dialogs. Separate
> vertical scrolling dir/file window and more :P
>
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/sbm/

I like the basic idea!! :) Functionality and looks seem to be close to
perfect. But from a usability POV, I would say they are way too
"packed". :/ In detail:

-- The File Open Dialog --
- The toolbar is overkill. You never need reload or stop at this place.
- I also wouldn't "hardcode" home, desktop and document folders to the
top right there. Maybe a shortcut bar like in this mockup:
http://digilander.libero.it/plfiorini/gnome-file-selector/alpha4_shot.png
? Just a suggestion. It would of course require some reordering and
probably getting rid of...
- ... the folder thingy! I don't think it's good to have something like
that here, do you? I'm not sure... I think it shouldn't be there. If it
makes sense to have such a column view (folders left, files right), then
maybe it should rather be implemented as another Nautilus view? This
would also directly work in the fileselector then.
- The "Add bookmark" button is confusing to me, that should be just a
simple button and no arrow (I would expect it to open some kind of
selectbox when clicked).
- Do we need the "locationbar"? This adds way too much noise IMO as we
already have the filename input field. Why not replace the location
combo field with a selectbox containing all the bookmarked folders?
- I think the lower area is quite ok... The filename combobox would
probably have to be replaced with the locationbar. Question is, if it
isn't crack to have this at the bottom here while it is at the top in
Nautilus. :/ What about showing this only if the location bar is shown
in Nautilus? Both could then be disabled by default... And experts could
have their tab completion... Hm I'm not at all convinced of this so
don't take me too seriously... Maybe someone has better ideas.

I think one big question is, do we want a shortcuts bar? It somehow
duplicates part of the bookmark functionality but it can be quite handy
to add most used folders there like home and desktop. It's also
convenient to use via drag and drop and very flexble.

-- The File Save Dialog --
This is what I love the most. But:
- The reliefed border around the icon shouldn't be there is for some
reason I wouldn't think that this icon can be dragged. It should rather
be on a beveled button or no button IMO. :) Also maybe it could be a
little larger.
- Aren't the Cancel and Save buttons there a violation to the HIG? I
think at the very least they need a button border. Of course it might
not look very good then... So I would just place them at the lower right
as the default is, it will also "unpack" the interface a little.
- I'm not happy with the filetype selector. If we need this, it should
at least be larger to contain descriptive names IMO. Also applications
which always save in one type should better hide this.

I hope this was at least some constructive feedback... :) It's really
getting there IMO but still needs a lot of attention to detail and
especially usability.

- Daniel