[Usability]Re: Nautilus preferences proposal

On 28 Apr 2002, Dave Bordoley wrote:

> Dave Watson, et. All.
>
> Icon and list views is just a very poor term for the preferences in this
> menu. These preferences affect the behavior of the file manager and yes
> these are the list and icon views. However we need better terminology
> for this I suggested File Manager, Alex suggested File Windows. Of
> course the best way to determine the correct term is with user testing.

Icon view and List view are correct technical terms. But I'm not sure they
are obvious to users. But lets keep them there and do some testing with
2.0 to see if they are confusing to users.

> As far as font preferences, I actually agree with you. I personally
> think we should get rid of all font preferences, however I can at least
> see alex's point about the icon view. The list view though shoudldn't
> have font preferences, no other program that use gtk tree view gives you
> font preferences. We should follow suit and of course further integrate
> ourselves with gnome and use the gtk system fonts. For the icons I
> suggest using the gtk desktop font (this is a preference in the gtk
> theme selector). Also it is important for accessibilty legal reasons
> that all fonts be configurable in a central location so that gnome can
> be deployed in government installations which require accessibility, I
> believe.

I'd like to see the desktop font being easily changeble by the user
withough having to hack gtkrc files. It should probably be in a capplet
that controls other fonts in the system. The other fonts I'm not so
worried about, since I don't think there is much reason to change them
from the normal font you use.

> And yes it would rule if zoom worked in the list view....:)

We have regressed quite a lot in the tree view and the list view. These
need some loving.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a lounge-singing guerilla card sharp who dotes on his loving old ma.
She's a hard-bitten paranoid doctor with a song in her heart and a spring in
her step. They fight crime!