[Usability]Re: Nautilus preferences proposal

On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 14:24, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> Dave Watson, et. All.
>
> Icon and list views is just a very poor term for the preferences in this
> menu. These preferences affect the behavior of the file manager and yes
> these are the list and icon views. However we need better terminology

All you've said is "Icon and list view" bad.  You haven't actually said
why.  That said, it's not a big deal to me.  I might just be used to the
current name (I am by no means an expert on usability).  As long as
we...

> for this I suggested File Manager, Alex suggested File Windows. Of
> course the best way to determine the correct term is with user testing.

...do this, I'm OK with it.

> As far as font preferences, I actually agree with you. I personally
> think we should get rid of all font preferences, however I can at least
> see alex's point about the icon view. The list view though shoudldn't
> have font preferences, no other program that use gtk tree view gives you
> font preferences. We should follow suit and of course further integrate

IMO, the list view in Nautilus is more like the icon view in Nautilus
than it is like the other uses of list views in gtk/gnome.

> ourselves with gnome and use the gtk system fonts. For the icons I
> suggest using the gtk desktop font (this is a preference in the gtk
> theme selector). Also it is important for accessibilty legal reasons
> that all fonts be configurable in a central location so that gnome can
> be deployed in government installations which require accessibility, I
> believe.

Anyhow, I think the accessibility argument is a good reason to get rid
of both font preferences.  Would anyone else object if we did this?