Re: [Usability]Hello

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 01:42:20PM -0400, Erik Pukinskis wrote:
> > When this idea comes up (as it does from time to time), I can never help
> > thinking "well, if there's only just one application that you can embed
> > everything into, wouldn't that just be the desktop itself?"
>
> Of course!  When we have a document-centric setup, there will be no
> distinction between the desktop environment and the file manager.  All
> the ways you interact with your computer will be conceived of as
> managing files (or bits of data) in some way.

I had this in 1993. It was called OS/2.

> Windows XP is already creeping in this direction. . . .

Yes, I said 1993.

> I think it's great that Nautilus was designed for this all along.

Really? Have a look at the design of the system that did this and you
may change your mind.

> I wouldn't be surprised at all if one day nautilus became the desktop
> shell with the panel disappearing and and all of the applications
> becoming nautilus viewer/editors.

I would be very surprised. I think you'd have to change the name if it
became such a thing because of how different it would be.

Have a look here for all sorts of documentation about the system that did
it almost 9 years ago on a i486/33 with 8MB RAM:

  http://www.warpspeed.com.au/book/books.htm

In particular, these:
  http://www.warpspeed.com.au/cgi-bin/inf2html.cmd?../html/book/Toolkt40/WPSGUIDE.INF
  http://www.warpspeed.com.au/cgi-bin/inf2html.cmd?../html/book/Toolkt40/WPS1.INF
  http://www.warpspeed.com.au/cgi-bin/inf2html.cmd?../html/book/Toolkt40/WPS2.INF
  http://www.warpspeed.com.au/cgi-bin/inf2html.cmd?../html/book/Toolkt40/WPS3.INF

The SOM stuff is also important. SOM is a competitor to COM more closely
related to CORBA and the basis of OpenDoc. (My lousy summary - oh well.)