Re: Nautilus Must-Fix List - Revision 2

> Desktop
> 1.	There need to be more options to arrange icons on the desktop
> 	rather than just "Clean Up By Name."
>
> 	REASON:
> 	GNOME 1.2 had a "tidy icons" feature which would allow you to
> 	simply align the icons (keeping their general location) to
> 	make them appear more cleanly placed.  Currently, in nautilus,
> 	the only way to "tidy icons" is to arrange them all on the left
> 	side of the screen, by name.

Couldn't agree more.  This feature is practically essential.

> 2.	Trash Icon Needs to have a customizable icon
>
> 	REASON:
> 	It is the ONLY icon that is placed on the desktop that does not
> 	have a "custom image" property that can be directly accessed
> 	by the user (though a theme can currently modify the icon.

I agree, I guess, although typically a trash can consists of two
icons--one for empty and one for filled...just something obvious to
keep in mind.

> 3.	Text for icons on desktop should have customizable colors
>
> 	REASON:
> 	When using a light colored background with a light colored theme,
> 	the text becomes unreadable on the desktop.  This can be easily
> 	remedied by either allowing the user to customize the text color
> 	(which does not solve the problem if the background shifts color)
> 	or by allowing the user to set a "bgcolor" property for the text
> 	so the text is always laid on a solid background.

Definitely.  Another nice feature would be to have the text
automatically be set to contrast nicely with whatever colour is behind
the icon.

name:    Jamin Philip Gray
email:   jgray writeme com
icq:     1361499
aim:     jamingray47
web:     http://DoLinux.dyn.dhs.org

Two men were sitting over coffee, contemplating the nature of things,
with all due respect for their breakfast.  "I wonder why it is that
toast always falls on the buttered side," said one.
        "Tell me," replied his friend, "why you say such a thing.  Look
at this."  And he dropped his toast on the floor, where it landed on the
dry side.
        "So, what have you to say for your theory now?"
        "What am I to say?  You obviously buttered the wrong side."