Re: Comments on dialog proposal

On Wed, 2001-09-05 at 14:14, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I really think "OK" ought to be reserved for cases where the button
> actually does something in addition to closing the dialog. If both
> instant and non-instant dialogs have an "OK" button, users will have a
> harder time figuring out which is which, and may not know whether
> their settings will stick if they, for instance, use the window
> manager close box.
>
> That's why I think it's important to draw a clear distinction even if
> users used to the old way may face occasional momentary confusion.

I think part of the problem is hinted at here, but not really stated:
the fact that instant-apply dialogs are not the standard, and are not
what users are used to.  Now, we all understand their advantages, and
eventually, any dialog that "should" be instant-apply will most likely
be so.  Until then, it might be suggested that instant-apply dialogs
identify themselves in some other way.

On the other hand, "ok" is the standard way to say "I'm done now, that's
the way I want it" in computer speak...so it's definately an issue that
can go both ways...

Perhaps "Save Settings" is a more appropriate button.

*shrug*

Brian