Re: Comments on dialog proposal

At 4:48 PM +0100 9/5/01, Michael Rogers wrote:
Christian Rose wrote:
 That's actually why I think "Close" is best suited in an instant-apply
 dialog. It relates only to the displaying/removal of the dialog, not
 whether settings are applied or discarded.

So it's better because it supplies less information? 'OK' indicates
acceptance of the settings. 'Done' indicates completion of the task.
What does 'Close' indicate about the contents of the dialog? Only that
they will no longer be visible.

It may not be obvious that the changes have already been applied (eg
tooltip, sound card fragment size, password), so the user needs to know
whether settings are going to be applied or discarded when the dialog is
closed.

But if the settings have already been applied, "OK" _misleads_ the user to think that the settings have not been applied until s/he clicks the button. If the settings have already been made, the user should _not_ be "indicating acceptance" of the settings -- s/he has already done so by making the settings in the first place.

I agree that we need a better way to make it clear that settings are applied instantly, but I think that this approach would muddy the difference between instant and non-instant settings application.

Adam