Making changes to proposals

Hey folks,

There has been some talk about creating a highly organized system for
dealing with usability proposals. It'd be great if people could sink
work into creating a system that would make that simple (say with an
online interface or something). In the long term I hope we end up with a
good system for tracking usability issues like Havoc's RFP.

In the short term we finally have places where we need to get to
work...so here's the deal. We'll operate this a little like a code
module. The module is "usability-proposals" in GNOME CVS. The directory
is just a CVSROOT/modules alias to:
    web-devel-2/content/projects/gup/proposals
But it means you don't have to check out the hundreds of megs in
web-devel-2 and creates a convenient module to checkout.

If you want to change a proposal, here are the rough steps:

1) Post a basic description to this list of what you want to change and
why...lively discussion ensues.

2) When rough consensus on an issue is reached, or there is a
deadlock...basically when discussion is no longer productive...post an
actual patch to usability gnome org

3) People may then suggest specific changes to the patch, and changes
are made as the patch maker agrees with the suggestions.

4) Basically at this point I tell you if you can checkin or not.

I'll try to follow the consensus of this mailing list in the general
case, but I reserve maintainer privilege, though I don't really think
I'm ever going to have to use that. Sometimes a decision just has to be
made though, in spite of disagreement its better that *a* decision is
made rather than any particular decision.

I hope everyone is amiable to this....

cheers,

-Seth