Re: [Usability] My take on Nautilus must-fix proposal

On 29Oct2001 12:59AM (-0500), Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:

> > > It actually works very well in practice.  I thought of trying to add it to
> > > gtk using a theme, then realised (1) gtk themes couldn't make windows
> > > larger, and (2) it belonged in the window manager.  I'd really like a
> > > "shadows" option in sawthingy :)
> > >

> > I will weep if I have to see stipple shadows on my Linux/GNOME laptop
> > next to my beatifully subtle alpha-composited shades on my Mac OS X
> > box.
>
> I realized one big issue with using a stipple window: if you click on
> the shadow, it doesn't pass through to the window underneath.

Depends on if you click on an on or off pixel.

> That would happen even if we did have alpha blended windows, sadly -
> we need "output only" X windows...

Hmmm - I'm not sure how the future cross-window alpha extension will
be designed, but I hope there are options other than only alpha == 0
passing events.

Also, if the WM does it, it can always send synthetic events to fake
click-through.

 - Maciej