Re: [Usability] Re: desktop/workspaces terminology issue

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Gregory Merchan wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:03:10PM -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> <snip>
> >         . . . Here's what we've settled on:
> >
> > http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/gnome-glossary-desktop.html
> >
> > workspace: A defined area in which you can work. You can create
> > different workspaces, with different processes, but you can only work
> > on one at any time.
> >
> > Then, when a workspace can be subdivided:
> >
> > viewport: A viewport is a subdivision of a workspace.
> >
> > desktop: The visible screen area where windows, icons, and panels
> > reside.
>
> I concur on the use of workspace and viewport, but may confused by desktop.
> Which is the desktop: the current viewport or the set of all workspaces?
>
> It seems a silly question, but I want to be sure. In either case, does
> the other one have a name?

Well.. if confused, take a look at the things provided by the following:
twm, tvtwm, ctwm, lesstif's mwm, fwvm1, fvwm2, cde and sawfish. What does
which of them provide?

> Cheers,
> Greg Merchan

	Sander

"I don't think there is intelligent life within our solar system"
	-- Brian Behlendorf