Re: UI guidelines

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 05:27:58PM +0100 or thereabouts, Michael Rogers wrote:
> I just realised my mistake in copying the KDE keyboard shortcut
> guidelines: I did *way* more work than I needed to. I should have just
> provided a link. I recommend that instead of arguing about Gnome UI
> guidelines, we just adopt the KDE ones. We shouldn't even copy them,
> because then we'd have to keep checking back to make sure they haven't
> changed them. We should just link to the KDE usability pages and say
> "ditto".

[snip]

Nice advantages.

> Disadvantages of this approach:
>
> 	This space left intentionally blank

I'll fill this in for you. ;-) In my not so humble opinion, the KDE styleguide
is simply *dead wrong* about some very critical issues, which has lead to much
confusion when I run KDE. Now, I'm not saying that they are all bad and should
be ignored - we should look at them, and adopt parts that are good, just like
we would do with all other UI guidelines. However, we shouldn't just blindly
take them on faith, as they are far from bulletproof.

> - Michael

--Kenny