Re: UI guidelines

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 05:27:58PM +0100, Michael Rogers wrote:
> I just realised my mistake in copying the KDE keyboard shortcut
> guidelines: I did *way* more work than I needed to. I should have just
> provided a link. I recommend that instead of arguing about Gnome UI
> guidelines, we just adopt the KDE ones. We shouldn't even copy them,
> because then we'd have to keep checking back to make sure they haven't
> changed them. We should just link to the KDE usability pages and say
> "ditto".

I agree that the KDE guidelines do contain some good work, and I'm
entirely happy to be compatible with them where appropriate. However,
there are already some areas where we've chosen to disagree: For
example, we're recommending that the order of dialog buttons be
different, and we did this entirely aware that it would be
incompatible with other systems.

Consider also the discussion about how GUI keybindings should co-exist
with older Unix keybindings. We would not be able to resolve issues
like this if we were to just take the KDE guidelines.

I certainly wouldn't support linking rather than copying. What would
happen if they were to suddenly make a change that was incompatible
with our technology?

colin