Re: Accelerator and terminology guides?

menthos menthos com (2001-06-27 at 2306.55 +0200):
> Michael Rogers wrote:
> > I've drafted a standard for Gnome key bindings, based on the KDE
> > standard:
> > http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/students/mrogers/standard-keys.html

I would use C-g and C-S-g for Search Next / Previous, not F3. Maybe
even add C-S-f as new search, but start with inverse toggle button
active. And now that I think, if the coder goes for incremental search
(which will be very nice, but offtopic here) it will make searching
very direct (hit combo, start typing until you get where you want or
it fails). In incremental search, Search N / P will do that, with last
string used, but allowing to type more letters, or delete if you want.

> Great proposal. Maybe F5 (Refresh view/Reload) should be added too?

If Redo goes as C-S-z (IMO it should), C-r could be Refresh and C-S-r
Reload (big refresh) cos they are easier to remember. I would left
Fkeys as application specific (aka no must or should as the ones we
are talking about). Or even better, as user programable, based on the
concept that people may want to do things a lot that most people think
are used rarely so no combo was assigned, and as users program it,
they will remember it better, or create templates to stick to the
keyboard.

> What are the keys Prior/Next btw?

My keyboard has none. Must be Sun kbds, or something like that. :]

> If anyone wants to write a part of the UI Guide with accelerator
> proposals, this and the KDE pages are the places to shop, I think. :)

IMO also Apple style, but with Ctrl instead of Command. Get the
AquaHIGuidelines.pdf and read pages 138 - 140, they have a nice list,
very similar to the ones proposed, except no messing with Fkeys at
all (still searching if the reason is the one I write above).