Re: thoughts on gnomecc

On 21 Jun 2001 14:49:03 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I want a magic preferences: URL and I think probably nuke the folder
> hierarchy and wipe out some of the confusing capplets. I'm not sure
> about that yet though.

What about user-specific information?

I dream of a Control Center which stores my name, email addresses,
POP3/IMAP/SMTP accounts, http/ftp proxy, and other common application
information which is all stored in one location, most likely via GConf.
Then every GNOME application I use can use those settings instead of me
having to re-enter it all the time.

Heck, as long as GConf's original intent was to be a generic UNIX config
repository, I want KDE and GNOME to share these common settings as part
of the X Desktop Group's standards. They can even share common
preferences such as whether icons should be single or double clicked,
wallpaper, etc.

But then my stupid alarm clock goes off and I realize that it'd take a
big sledge hammer for all this to happen ;0)

Wouldn't it be cool though? GConf seems perfect for a desktop standard
(who wants to reinvent non-fun stuff?)

P.S. I hope I can actually help with coding soon...just learning
GTK+/GNOME now.

--

Steve Fox
http://k-lug.org