Re: thoughts on gnomecc

On 21 Jun 2001 12:29:42 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to do the "control panel folder in Nautilus" and "capplets are
> standalone" thing against stable - it appears to me that the best way

How about using HEAD ? We have made lots of changed to HEAD already not
only to control-center but to libcapplet. One of the biggest changes was
to remove the embeding code. I think you should start with HEAD not
stable, merging the code back is going to be a lot of work.

> to do that is to create an extra module (control-center-hacked or
> something) which implements a different different-toplevel-per-panel
> control-center shell, and a gnome-vfs module for the capplets.
> I don't think any changes to control-center core are required for
> this, but I could be wrong.

Why do you want to use gnome-vfs here for ? I mean we can use gnome-vfs
but why do you need a module ?

> Is the current control center HEAD intended to be a prototype or the
> real thing? I have to say I don't see the value of having a configurable
> control center view - let's just pick one!

You are prolly right.

> My personal opinion is that a menu in the foot menu and a folder in
> Nautilus is good enough, but if we also have the navigator shell I
> guess I'd say:
>
>  - the icon list is same as Nautilus, so no point
>  - the tree view confuses people and looks ugly
>  - so use the HTML view for the shell

I think the HTML view is tiring for the user, it looks nice the firs
time but after a while it is tiring, if i had to pick one i'd go with
the icon view, yes it is the same as nautilus but i think that is the
best option.

> I'd like to have the official GNOME 2 control center configurable in
> such a way that the Nautilus control panel folder works fine, without
> having to pop up the shell - I guess this should be pretty easy.

/me nods

regards,
Chema