Re: thoughts on gnomecc

On 21 Jun 2001 12:29:42 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to do the "control panel folder in Nautilus" and "capplets are
> standalone" thing against stable - it appears to me that the best way
> to do that is to create an extra module (control-center-hacked or
> something) which implements a different different-toplevel-per-panel
> control-center shell, and a gnome-vfs module for the capplets.
> I don't think any changes to control-center core are required for
> this, but I could be wrong.

You are probably right.

> This isn't something that we'd release in official GNOME I don't
> think, unless we want to do a 1.4.1 and do QA on it and get some
> agreement.
>
> However I don't want to be hosed moving to GNOME 2.
>
> Is the current control center HEAD intended to be a prototype or the
> real thing? I have to say I don't see the value of having a configurable
> control center view - let's just pick one!

There's a configurable view at the code level just because, due to my
limited GUI knowledge, I do not want to commit to a single,
unconfigurable view. This makes the question of which view to use
strictly a UI issue.

> My personal opinion is that a menu in the foot menu and a folder in
> Nautilus is good enough, but if we also have the navigator shell I
> guess I'd say:
>
>  - the icon list is same as Nautilus, so no point
>  - the tree view confuses people and looks ugly
>  - so use the HTML view for the shell
>
> I'd like to have the official GNOME 2 control center configurable in
> such a way that the Nautilus control panel folder works fine, without
> having to pop up the shell - I guess this should be pretty easy.

I agree, though again I believe there should be some shell for those who
do not want to use Nautilus. Perhaps the desktop could be configured so
that the shell only appears as an option when the user elects not to run
Nautilus.