Re: Confusion of Applet and Capplet :)

glynn foster sun com (2001-06-21 at 0249.14 +0100):
> So it would be just great if we could come up with something a little bit
> sensible that somehow acurately describes their [non]usefulness :) This
> also applies to the capplets/crapplets.

Capplets are configuration plugins. They are plugins for the desktop
configuration system (aka control center). I think that was the easy
part (uuum, maybe CC could be renamed too, DCS sounds better IMHO).

> Among the suggestions were -
> Gizmos,Widget,Gadgets,Helplets,Docklets,GNOMElets,Yokeys,Thingameybobs,Whizlets,
> Evilets,Miniapps....the list is endless....
> [hrm, the more I go on, the more dumb it gets :/]
> 		Anyways, resolutions??...Any?

Now that is where problems appear, all those are weird names, and if
you ask me, I do not know how to translate most of them, which for me
seems to be a clue: really bad names. For me applets are "always
running things that provide some info or make some tasks easier". That
or applet (without translation when I am speaking non English) if I do
not want to waste time.

So even if Miniapp is not 100% perfect, I vote for it. People will get
the idea fast, I hope: apps create windows and do lots of things,
miniapps appear in containers named panels (special windows) and do
few things. And it is translatable without causing severe headaches, a
rare thing in computer world. :]

Or Miniprograms. Just make sure everywhere we use Foo and Minifoo, not
Bar and Minifoo. Check how many places use one or the other term, and
change the minority, or if equal, choose one. People can name things
as they want, but we should use one (and derivates) by default, so it
is easier if the user does not want to become a dictionary.

GSR