Re: Confusion of Applet and Capplet :)

"Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" wrote:

> Capplets are configuration plugins. They are plugins for the desktop
> configuration system (aka control center). I think that was the easy
> part (uuum, maybe CC could be renamed too, DCS sounds better IMHO).

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see that results with the
control center once more....But from what I've read of the code, there
is not really any need for a libcapplet....I mean, there is no try, revert
ok, cancel interface anymore...just Ok and Cancel...hell, there is no
special launching mechanism...they are just seperate simple gtk apps...

> Now that is where problems appear, all those are weird names, and if
> you ask me, I do not know how to translate most of them, which for me
> seems to be a clue: really bad names. For me applets are "always
> running things that provide some info or make some tasks easier". That
> or applet (without translation when I am speaking non English) if I do
> not want to waste time.

Okay...some of those names were a little silly....but I don't see much
of a reason if they don't translate...I mean, there are plenty of
made up terms everywhere and they aren't translated [shit, if only I
could think of an example]. With proper documentation this is easily
a non-worry...The worry that I'm talking about is that some people
will not know if there is any difference between an applet [in the Java
sense] and an applet [in the panel sense]....I don't know for sure
if there will be much confusion....I guess it starts to get more confusing
if people start using Java bindings....I just think it would be neat to
come up with a new term that isn't used elsewhere...and if it is
something as boring as Calum suggested, then at least it will be meaningful.

> So even if Miniapp is not 100% perfect, I vote for it. People will get
> the idea fast, I hope: apps create windows and do lots of things,
> miniapps appear in containers named panels (special windows) and do
> few things. And it is translatable without causing severe headaches, a
> rare thing in computer world. :]

I'm still getting used to the idea of Panel Gizmos ;)

> Or Miniprograms. Just make sure everywhere we use Foo and Minifoo, not
> Bar and Minifoo. Check how many places use one or the other term, and
> change the minority, or if equal, choose one. People can name things
> as they want, but we should use one (and derivates) by default, so it
> is easier if the user does not want to become a dictionary.

Miniprogram...well in English that is 3 syllables....and I hate to think
how many in a different language...