Today's Discussions

As a result of discussions we've had today in #usability, I've updated the proposal:
http://gabber.sf.net/interface/interface-guide.html

Talking to _vicious_ it was discovered that our issues with default changing were due to a bug in GTK+. What *should* happen is that only action buttons below the horizontal rule will cause the default (enter keybinding) to *temporarily* change until a widget above the rule is selected. When that happens, the default jumps back to the one set for the dialog. I believe this is an acceptable solution for where the default should be.

Also, I added a note about preference dialogs flipping sideways when there are 6 categories or more. Jimbob, Dekar, and I discussed this earlier and liked it. _vicious_ is implementing it in pong. The "issue" possible with that is inconsistency... but I feel dialogs will be *more* consistent if application authors feel inclined to actually use the preferences widget _vicious_ creates. Preference dialogs with only a few settings would be classic notebook style, and dialogs which are packed with lots of settings would be sideways-style with the clist to select the category.

_vicious_ seems ok with what we have in that proposal.

Julian