Re: Startup feedback Was: Re: A strange request

kop meme com (2001-07-21 at 2133.26 -0500):
> > There are more important usability issues to deal with regarding GNOME
> > already. Let's focus on that, and not some eye-candy,
> > would-be-cool-to-have feature.
> I'll not argue, there is only so much effort to go around.

If you want to impress people, there are some Unix things you can do,
like remote X, X inside X with Xnest or using a nice combination of
window manager and apps. Please visit http://www.themes.org/ for an
idea of how X can look (add anims with imagination or by downloading
and testing). And all that is currently avaliable.

> I wrote:
> > (On launch icon splits and one detaches
> > from panel and explodes, stops exploding when the application has fully
> > initialized and is ready for user input.  How's that for feedback?  By
> > mainpulating the explosion one could shutdown a process that hangs on
> > initialization.)
> I do think that there's a serious interface issue with Linux on a slow box
> that the expoding icons solve, that being letting the user know that an app
[...]

AAh, so it (or at least part of your complain) is about speed. Please
check xalf, currently not in general use, but I guess that is what you
want. From talks, next generation will use som kind of plugin system
so notifications will be configurable (some people like splash
windows, others preffer sounds, etc). It should be included as GNOME
addon in the future.

> I'll shut up now 'cause I'm only kibitzing on the list and not coding.
> Just scattering seeds.

If you can write docs or something like that you will help. IE, I know
people would like a tutorial about doing Nautilus themes, create a
theme and document what you learned while doing it. ;]

GSR