Re: [Usability] newbie suggestions ...

Alan Horkan wrote:
> but seriously evolution is too much like MS Outlook for my
> liking and i dont understand all that contact managment timetabling
> malarkey (but thats seems to be the target audience).

I also used to think so at first, but after having clicked away most of
the other stuff in Evolution so that it isn't shown, it became a lot
less confusing to use it as a mail application only. Now I have learned
to appreciate some of these other features (like the calendar) so I'm
slowly going back to the default Evolution layout.

[..]
> [the text below is in response to a different post, its confusing, and
> im evil...]
>
> >aagh! emacs keybindings by default how scary is that.  useful maybe but
> >> please not on by default.
>
> >I agree, but the problem is that it has it has been on by default in the
> >past. I suspect there will be lovely flames and heated discussions from
> >some users if it is off by default in the future. There already has been
> >some heated discussions on some gnome mailing lists when Emacs shortcuts
> >were discussed. But yeah, not enabling them by default sounds like the
> >saner strategy to me(1).
>
> I try and think of the people who have never used a computer before, and
> then the windows/mac people.  The most good for the most people.

Yes. I agree with you. But as someone who had to defend not enabling
Emacs keybindings by default in the past, I'm only telling you that some
people will disagree loudly. It's not me you have to convince, because I
already agree with you, for all the reasons above and more.

Christian