Re: [Usability] newbie suggestions ...

[replying to 2 posts in one mail to confuse people]

Speaking as someone who spends 60% of the day in Emacs, I'd say it's
not scary at all. :)

of course
as someone who - likes to think he - knows somthing about usability so much of usability seems to end up being "what you are used to" rather than "what is most usable". "one mans meat is another mans poison"

Of course, now that I'm using Evolution as my mailer, I'm going to have
to get used to not having them.

i use Netsape/Mozilla, pine and sometimes mutt (in roughly that order of frequencey). Evolution scares me, i`m not descended from a monkey, im a Christian ... but seriously evolution is too much like MS Outlook for my liking and i dont understand all that contact managment timetabling malarkey (but thats seems to be the target audience).
I'd be more interested in keyboard shortcuts if the whole clipboard
situation wasn't such a nightmare -- as long as I can't count on cut
and paste to work except within a single application, I'm forced to
fall back on middle-button and the primary X selection. (Which sucks
rocks, considering how often I find that I've accidentally selected a
new area when clicking to change applications, or accidentally selected
an invisible newline, or accidentally just sort of lost the selection.
Can anyone tell me what the relationship is, if any, between the GNOME
clipboard and the X selection? And while you're at it, explain why
GNOME terminal has "Paste" but not "Copy"?

that confuses me too, but im only just getting used to copying by selecting and pasting using the middle button.

[the text below is in response to a different post, its confusing, and im evil...]

aagh! emacs keybindings by default how scary is that.  useful maybe but
please not on by default.

I agree, but the problem is that it has it has been on by default in the
past. I suspect there will be lovely flames and heated discussions from
some users if it is off by default in the future. There already has been
some heated discussions on some gnome mailing lists when Emacs shortcuts
were discussed. But yeah, not enabling them by default sounds like the
saner strategy to me(1).

I try and think of the people who have never used a computer before, and then the windows/mac people. The most good for the most people.