Re: GNOME 2.0 Must Fix Item #6

-ponder- PAM's not really my strong point, I just
remember George telling me it would be a problem when
I told him I was planing on doing the usability fixes,
and then seeing how it could be a problem when I was
coding some of them in.

The way GDM works is like this.

There is a front-end and a backend, the front-end is
the GUI, the back-end is the part that talks to PAM.
When someone enters their username, it goes to the
back-end, and then to PAM, PAM sends the backend the
prompt (Password:) which sends it to the front end,
and then the backend waits for the password.  If we
wanted to have both things on one screen, we have to
buffer the username and password, wait for the user to
push ok, and then send the backend the username
followed by the password.  This isn't really that big
a deal.  I think the problem comes in when you for
some reason don't just type a username/password to
login, or when the prompt says something besides
Password: that the user needs to see.  Like I said, it
"might" break some PAM setups, but I think genrally
should be ok.  Still, I'm not positive :)

Heeten - Clueless fiend

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/k/f/kfv101//GNOME/logout-mockup.png