Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: Installation-time performerance preference

The problem with both of these suggestions is one of context.  When will
this stuff appear?  I know that I sometimes do terrible things to X and
GNOME.  I might have an NFS home directory and switch machines a lot.
(Each with different speeds and video cards.)  Or I might run my setup
over a remote display, or over a different kind of network.  (Esp. with
my laptop.)

If the benchmarks ran at login time, does it effect programs running
remotely as well as locally?  Am I going to mind that the way a program
works is changed if I happen to be compiling a large program at startup?
(Or if someone else is logged into the machine at the same time?)  Can I
get back to the configuration dialog if I upgrade my machine?  Etc.