Re: Menu guidelines updated

Hello Adam,

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Adam Elman wrote:

> them as a primary operation.  But if you always have the Quit command
> under the File menu, you don't want it to go away either.  It's a
> catch-22.

As I see it, a program that runs in GNOME doesn't *have* to have a menu
bar at all, when the functionality the program provides doesn't require
it. You still have the close button in the title bar which even newbie
users can find easily.

> 2) Get rid of the "Quit" option altogether; this involves moving much
> more towards a document-centric paradigm rather than the current
> app-centric one.  This is a little more radical. :)

BTW, just for fun you should take notice how many GNOME apps use 'Exit' or
'Close' instead of Quit. There is a need for common terminology here.

> a bit unsure about this whole thing. Should we deny the >user the user
> the ability to have the same file open in two seperate >windows?
>
> Yes, I think we should, at least through this means.  There are,

IMHO this should be user-selectable behaviour in the GNOME Control
Centers' User Interface settings, so that power users who would want this
for some reason are not hindered in what they want to do.

> Yes, although submenus are much more annoying/difficult to navigate
> than single menus.  Which is not to say that I disagree with you, but
> I don't think that "you can fit more items" is a sufficient reason to
> use a submenu in and of itself.

I couldn't agree more.

--

Reinout van Schouwen
e-mail    : reinout cs vu nl

"The world of technology is dominated by two kinds of people:
 Those who manage what they do not understand, and those who
 understand what they do not manage." -comment read on Slashdot