Re: GNOME 2.0 must-fix list Volunteers?

Message: 1
Subject: Re: GNOME 2.0 must-fix list Volunteers?
From: Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu>
To: nils <n p sun com>
Cc: usability gnome org
Date: 12 Aug 2001 22:58:28 -0700

> I think we should assign people responible for various
> aspects of the GNOME desktop. I have prposed some
> names. The people assigned to the project should come
> up with proposals for the usability must do/fixes.
>
> So what have I missed out - anybody want to voluteer?

Just to be clear so people don't shy away from this... The
responsibility is only for forming a must-fix list for that aspect of
GNOME. Its some measure of work but it doesn't require long term
commitment (it would be best to have a few people working on each area)
I suggest you look at the application as a "new user" of the application
would. Create a new user account, try it with the default settings. What
might somebody try to do with the application and where might they mess
up? What things about it confound you most? What things stand in the way
of working efficiently?

And of course, these are proposals which we'll discuss together, so feel
free to leave some things as questions or FIXMEs.

> 1) Menus and Applications (Nils +??)
>         Application menus (foot and foobar)
>         Menu Panel Editing
>         Initial Panel(s) and Applets (gadgets)
>         Icons
>         Application Launch Feedback
>       Taskbar and generic application switching, manipulating

> 2) Nautilus (Seth??)
>         Inital view
>         Desktop background
>         Desktop Icons
>       Virtual (non filesystem) views?

I can do this, but it might actually be better to have somebody review
Nautilus that doesn't already have emotional blinders on ;-)

> 3) Control Center and Meta Themer (??)

Suz and I have started looking at this, and I have some mockups and
ideas for how to improve it. This is less of a "must fix" list than the
others since its already being largely rewritten.

cheers,

Seth

I'm willing to volunteer to help out on this. Since I am a "new user" I think my impressions and experiences would be more meaningful than someone trying to act like a new user. Of course, I'm not exactly sure what information you're interested in -- perhaps you could write up a set of tasks to perform (e.g. find a file, change setting X, etc.) and I could record any difficulties I encounter while trying to perform them.

-Roger

Roger Taylor

Learning Research and Development Center
University of Pittsburgh
3939 O'Hara Street, Pittsburgh, PA  15260

(412) 624-2662 | rtaylor pitt edu | www.pitt.edu/~rtaylor