Re: GNOME 2.0 Menu design

> Terminal [Enter Unix commands at the command prompt]

I realize "Command Prompt" is the name Windows uses, but quite often the
technical community refers to this as a "Command Line Interface."  In
documentation you will more often see "enter ____ in the command line" or
just simply "at the prompt."  You do see "Terminal Window" but I have a
sense (correct me if I'm wrong) that between the Windows standard and the
proliferation of the term CLI and it's derivatives, the word "Command"
should be part of what we call this thing.

We can set a standard for GNOME documentation, but we can't control what
people say on the web in articles and how-tos.  People will use the gnome
terminal while looking at documentation that isn't GNOME specific, but
specific to a distribution or even to an application.  In many ways the
GNOME foundation doesn't get to decide what this program is called.  The
name has to be the de facto standard.

Are there reasons why "Command Prompt" and "Command Line" are bad names for
this app?  They describe what it is for rather than how it is implemented.
And what does KDE call this?  That might make a difference too.

-Erik